portalillinois.org is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.


It is always imperative to make sure that your children are covered in every respect. You always want them to be fed and insured. Therefore, if your family requires medical assistance or nutritional assistance and you have children in your household, it is all the more important to apply for government aid as soon as possible.

Fortunately, the state of Illinois has made it very easy to submit the necessary forms and get the benefits you need with the Department of Human Services providing a single application for Cash Assistance, Medical Assistance and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Just take a look at the sections below for information on how to fill out the application and get your kids the coverage they need.

Required Information

As with all applications, this comprehensive form requires you to provide certain pieces of information. So before you begin to fill out this form, make sure to gather the following:

  • Personal information, such as your name and address
  • Citizenship information
  • Household information, including composition
  • Income and benefits information

How to Submit the Form

There are two ways that you can submit your application for coverage in the state of Illinois. You can either go in person to a local Department of Human Services office to hand it in or you can mail in your form, whichever is more convenient for you. Additionally, you can also register to vote as you are submitting your application, as long as you provide the applicable form to the DHS office.